Monday, March 20, 2006

The Silence of the Desktop

It was just over 9 months ago that my company decreed that people could no longer play music out loud at the desks. Within a couple of weeks there was an implicit ban on headphone music at the desk, They had long since blocked any Net Radio stations, but a couple of incidents of customer visits marked by expletives heard streaming from one persons desk, and another of an important call missed because the person couldn't hear the rining above their headphones ... and the writing was on the wall.

That has changed much about my day ... I typically had music on, very softly and directed at my head so that even the person next to me could barely hear it early in the morning. It does have a negative morale impact, but I am dealing.

I have sporadically blogged for a bit now, but since I jst got a new laptop that will likely tail off as well. It is well known that corporations see blogging as a potential security threat, so many clamp down on sites like this. Previously I would encounter a 'warning', but with the new laptop and 'desktop image', it is now blocked. I used to enjoy working a few minutes here or there on a draft during the day, but that is gone.

So I don't know how much more I'll do ... we'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get that anti-spam comment feature that Blogger added recently. :)

Michael Anderson said...

Thanks for the tip!